Lillian Nordstrom
Grief Support

Obituary of Lillian Nordstrom

Lillian Maureen Nordstrom


Born: January 31, 1942

Died: April 21, 2023


Predeceased by her father, Loran Johnson, mother, Isabel Johnson, sister Evelyn Johnson. Her husband, Dennis (Boone) Nordstrom, of 57 years.


Survived by her son, Roger Nordstrom. His wife Diana. Grandchildren Gage, wife Megan. Zoe Nordstrom. Great Grandchildren Ethan with one coming in June.


Lillian was born in Hardisty, Alberta. Her family lived on a farm east of Lougheed- until 1950. When her father died, Lillian, her mom and sister moved in with her grandmother on her dad's side of the family.


She did her schooling in Lougheed then Sedgewick for high school. After high school, she and her friend Irene Pope went to Edmonton. There they attended McTavish business college. When asked what her plans were after finishing college she said they wanted to be high class secretaries. She attended college for one year.


On December 20 1963, she married Dennis Nordstrom of Sedgewick area. In 1965, they had their son Roger. At the time they lived in a small house on Dwayne Billows property in Sedgewick. In 1966, they moved to Prince George, B.C. They lived for a short time in small house on Ed Nordstrom's property. Then moved to a rental house, just off the Giscome highway. Dad bought a half acre lot in the Bonnet Hill area outside of Prince George. Dad built the house and we moved in about 1968.

Mom had many challenges. There was no running water or plumbing. Had to hall water from the neighbor’s house and had an outhouse in back of yard behind the chicken coop. Lot of work when washing clothes. But I never heard her complain. I don't remember her having a job when we lived in Prince. I know she tempted at the phone company a bit and got into selling Avon and Tupperware. I remember being dragged around to drop orders off or if Dad wasn't home, going to the parties.


In 1976, Dad bought the home farm north of Sedgewick. Our first year on the farm we lived in an old bunkhouse, 6'x20'. No water or plumbing. Water would've come from town but I don't remember where from. Mom dowsed for water the following summer. When the drillers came, they drilled where Mom said and found water. It was a good well. But even though we had water, we still had to hall it into the house. Dad fixed up the old house in 1977, and we moved into it. I remember Mom and I were at the kitchen table. Dad came in, he was upset. He said Mom would have to get a job or we'd have to sell the farm. I think she got a job within a few days of that statement. She started to work at the Extendicare in Viking, as activities director. She was definitely in her element now. She always enjoyed dressing up, games and playing music. She even got her class 3 license, so she could take residents out on trips to get a change of scenery. In 2010 she retired, after 33 years. Sometime in 2000's she joined into the Storbakken band, I think by then name was changed to Ralph and friends.  She was always musical. I remember her when I was a small boy playing accordion and piano, sometimes ukulele.  She enjoyed playing at lodges, dances, parades and jamboree. I believe this is where her enjoying a rum & coke started. She was also into quilting of which she had won many first places. She enjoyed many hobbies being it Artex to quilting and going to bingo hoping to win big.

Sadly in 2020, her husband passed away during the height of covid. She was by herself now. I wasn't able to get out because of the restrictions so we relied on phone calls. Mom was fortunate, as was I, that she had a good group of friends who were able to come see her. Come over for lunches to chat or evenings to do puzzles.


When I was able to make it out to see her in spring of 2021. One of the first things she told me, was that she wouldn't move in with me, she didn't want to leave her home. I respected her decision as I knew it was the best place for her. We continued with our weekly talks, even my uncle Nordy would call on Fridays (a habit that he had with my dad). I would come out and see her as much as I could, and do things that needed to be done. Alot of times she just wanted to chat and play crib (rum & coke played into that).


In April of 2023, she landed in hospital because of a fall. When I came out to see her in the hospital, I could see that she was failing. Mom was in Viking hospital for almost 3 weeks. I stayed with her in the palliative care room for several nights until she passed away.


I'd like to thank her many friends, Karen Sorken, Vivian Firkus, Gaye Backen, Jean Hinecker, my uncle Nordy. For the lunches, puzzle making and chats.  I'd also like to thank Dr. Overbo, nurses and kitchen staff for the great care and compassion shown to my mother.

In keeping with Lillian's wishes, no service will be held.


Grief Support
Share Your Memory of